Thursday, March 26, 2009

Little India - Queens

During my week spent in NYC on a mission trip with my college ministry, I had the great pleasure of working in Little India in Queens, helping out Father's Love church with their ministry... I shared with strangers the gospel of Jesus Christ, heard their testimonies and life stories and shared my own testimony. We even got to go into Hindu and Sikh temples to learn and share. Amazing. I will never be the same, and all these stories, experiences and triumphs will stay with me forever. I am happy to say I grew so much... in knowledge, spirit and in my heart. I am changed for the better.

Here are a few photos from Little India, Queens:


Sammy! Sweet baby boy of sister Rita, a member of the church we were helping out at.


In a park in Queens sharing the good news!


Actin' a fool in Queens...


I met this sweet cat in a corner store in Queens... we quickly became friends.


So. Much. Indian food!





They were so hospitable at the Sikh temple.


We even got to pray to Christ with the members of the Sikh temple, how AMAZING is that?


Waiting outside in the rain for Boto... photoshoot time!




Pretty pretty Henna thanks to sister Rita!


Me and Maycie rockin' the Henna!


I learned so much during my time in Little India. Being immersed in the Indian culture was exciting, intimidating and beautiful. Everywhere we went people were so hospitable, warm and welcoming; it was touching. My group worked with Father's Love Church in Queens. Working with Boto (the pastor's son), Deepak and Rahgu was very humbling... they are doing such great things in that bureau... impacting the lives of people in their community, boldly sharing with people the gospel of Jesus Christ and showing the love of Christ with all that they do. Rhagu's testimony touched my heart and will always stay with me. The fact that he went from a devout Hindu, to such a firm and bold believer in Christ is very encouraging... he revels in the passion and intimacy a personal relationship with Christ provides! I learned so much from all of them regarding sharing my faith and to be BOLD in all my endeavors, I am so thankful to know them, my brothers and sisters in Christ!


For God did not give us a spirit of timidity but one of power, love, and self-discipline. Therefore, never be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me, his prisoner. Instead, by God's power, join me in suffering for the sake of the gospel. He saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our own accomplishments, but according to his own purpose and the grace that was given to us in the Messiah Jesus before time began. Now, however, that grace has been revealed through the coming of our Savior the Messiah Jesus who has destroyed death and through the gospel has brought life and release from death into full view.

With the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us, protect the good treasure that has been entrusted to you.

2 Timothy 1: 7-14


p.s. an update of my time spent in Manhattan/Brooklyn will come soon... so much happened... this is just what happened in Queens!


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home